Tuesday, August 28, 2007

Bee Sting

Today I got stung by a bee. Ouch! This was bound to happen sooner or later – working in the forest we run into all sorts of dangers, from rotting bridges to snakes to bees. Nevertheless, I believe the forest is safer than riding a motorbike in this country.

The bee experience was my second in the tropics, and quite a bit nicer than the first time (in costa rica). My coworker and our guide (Abang Abing – funny name!!) were walking down a hill. I was the last one in line, and I noticed that my coworker and Abing were suddenly running and yelling. Of course they were yelling in Indonesian (probably something logical like: “Run! Bees!”) which I didn’t understand, but somehow I understood that I should also run away. I started dashing up the hill as a very large (quarter sized) black object buzzed by me and suddenly my leg was burning and I was slapping my pants because it hurt like he**. Upon later inspection I learned that these were not small honey-bee type stings, but nasty things that swelled immediately to the area of a small pancake and throbbed for three days straight. Luckily I escaped with only one sting, my coworker two, and our guide none.

No comments: