Saturday, August 25, 2007

Haircut

Haircut. Yes, I did it: my hair is now about an inch long. The decision came after my hair was snagged in rattan for the nth time. Now fieldwork will be much easier, my hair will be easier to care for, but I do miss the long blond curls…

The haircut itself was quite an experience. I walked into the salon on a Sunday evening, and tried to explain that I wanted my hair short. The hairdresser seemed to understand. First he washed my hair, and then unsuccessfully tried to brush it. Eventually I got fed up with the ineffective tugging with a comb, and offered to brush my own hair to speed up the process. After the brushing, my hairdresser started cutting. But he was not brave – each time he would cut off about 2 inches all the way around, and I would instruct him to cut more. This happened about 4 times until he finally got the idea that I wanted really, really short hair and he exclaimed, “Like a boy!” Umm, yeah, like a boy. After an hour-long haircut process, I walked out of the salon with a decent haircut which only cost $2, such a great deal!

No comments: