Thursday, June 14, 2007

Yogya wrap-up

My last language class finished this morning. After a week of intensive language training I’m happy to have a “break” from formal classes – however, I think my time in Kalimantan (Borneo) will also be intense language training, because almost no one I work with will speak English!

The week has been filled with learning language, but also with learning how to live in Indonesia. One of the newest/most different aspects of living here is the prominence of Islam. The couple I am staying with, Laras and Maman pray five times each day (starting at 4:30 am – yikes!), will not go to a restaurant that serves alcohol, and Laras always wears a head covering in public. Government offices have Friday afternoon off from work/school because Friday is a Muslim holy day, and there are prayer rooms everywhere – office buildings, airports, and homes – so that people can pray throughout the day without too much trouble. And yet everyone seems to coexist happily – on the surface there is not much conflict between Islamic people and others (beside Muslims, most people on Java seem to be Christian).

No comments: