Tuesday, June 12, 2007

Out with the gals

Monday evening I went to dinner with fellow students (two women) at Realia. One is doing her PhD in Balinese art, and the other works for the World Bank in Jakarta. We had wine (good wine!!!) at a gorgeous colonial-era hotel. The hotel staff seemed very confused by the wine – our waiter didn’t know how to open a wine bottle, so they had to call an “expert” so that we could enjoy our drink! Wine is apparently not a popular drink among Indonesians– Bintang (the local beer) seems to be the favorite drink. After our wine experience we headed to dinner at a yummy Korean BBQ. I felt spoiled, full, and quite happy after my evening out – my dinner companions (both old enough to be my mother) were kind enough to pay for the food and drink and taxi.

No comments: