Monday, June 18, 2007

City Expo

The Indonesian City Expo was interesting – all the larger cities in the country set up booths with traditional foods, products (batik, crafts, etc), and information about city history. Most items were for sale. The expo was definitely the place to be Saturday night, as you could hardly move due to the high density of human bodies inside the expo tent.

I have never felt so white in my entire life. People stared at me, took pictures of me, and a TV interviewer decided I was interesting enough to interview. Unfortunately his English wasn’t so hot, and my Indonesian was worse, so I don’t think it was the most smooth interview in history. Pontianak is apparently not accustomed to “buleh” – which literally means “albino” – but now applies to all white people in the country. After the expo I returned to the hotel and immediately fell asleep – I am exhausted from all the travel and excitement in the last month.

No comments: