Saturday, July 28, 2007

White People in Ponti

Last night I spoke English with two Canadians for about 4 hours! It was fun, and made me remember that I am in fact not an aberration – there are other people in this world with blonde hair, blue eyes, and white skin. I met the first Canadian, Michelle, at the grocery store about three weeks ago, just before leaving for the field. She sent me an sms last night an invited me to a birthday party for one of her students (Michelle teaches English to Indonesians in Pontianak). I happily accepted the invitation and arrived at the party where I met the second Canadian who works with villages along the Kapuas river helping them to build sand filtration systems for drinking water, as well as a couple of Dutch women who do physiotherapy work with disabled orphans in Pontianak. Luckily I’ve retained at least some remedial English skills, and we had a blast complaining about the difficulties of being a foreigner in this country.

Tomorrow I fly to Jakarta (again) to pick up my passport and do some shopping.

No comments: