Friday, July 13, 2007

No More Cameras, Please!

A hard, and long day in the field. We walked about 12 kilometers through swamp forest and on logging roads to get the GPS points needed to understand this border area. We also picked up another member – Tata – to complete our team (8 people).

Upon returning to Cali, I happily bathed and ate. We are leaving for Mensubang on Monday so tomorrow is our final day in the field. All the villagers came to the school tonight and wanted pictures with me (the buleh). Although tired, I obliged but I fear that the pictures will show a sleepy white girl trying to stay awake, instead of the celebrity they all think I am! Indonesians have an obsession with buleh – they want to touch me (my skin), to talk with me, and above all to take photos with me. Sometimes this is amusing but most often it is intrusive and tiresome.

No comments: