Tuesday, July 24, 2007

Last Day in Mensubang

Yesterday was our last day of field work in Mensubang. Yadi and walked the border between grass and rubber land uses across the river, and then took a sampan back home in the middle of an incredible downpour. It has been raining “cats and dogs” for the last five days in Mensubang, which has slightly impeded our field work but mostly means that we are constantly wet during the daytime. One effect of the rain is a rapidly rising river level; over the course of about five days the river level increased by at least 15 feet.

Yesterday morning I had one of my most embarrassing experiences to-date in Indonesia. I got up very early as usual (about 4:45 am, before sunrise) and walked down to the river. As I was walking the plank from the shore to the floating dock, I slipped and fell into the river…oops! The Indonesian woman sitting on the dock washing her clothes was at first appalled but then totally amused. Later that day all the Indonesians I saw giggled and asked me why I wanted to swim so early in the morning.

Today we leave for Ketapang, where I will meet with the oil palm company and ask permission to tour the plantation area. Then back home to Pontianak.

No comments: