Saturday, December 1, 2007

Durian

It is finally durian season in Kalimantan (though my friends tell me the durian is much too expensive, I really should wait a couple weeks to buy). Thus at delegated places around the city, people are selling truckfulls of durian. Apparently buying the fruit is an art - my Indonesian friends checked out perhaps 100 different fruits before buying 6 buah (fruit). Durian should be chosen by appearance and most importantly smell. The yellower and more fragarent the fruit, the more delicious. We dragged the fruit home and opened them one at a time, tasting and exclaiming on the texture (wet or dry), sweetness (too sweet, or not enough) and acidity (many durian are a bit acid). I like durian, but I think the durian I tried in Bangkok last year was better than the local kind -- sorry Indonesia =)

No comments: