Monday, August 4, 2008

Planet Fit

As you probably know, I keep myself sane in Pontianak by going to the gym on a daily basis. Since I'm there so often, I've made friends with a few of the students and instructors - a fabulous break from work and the world of science!

When I'm at the gym I either run or attend class. While running I try to watch whatever TV shows are available - I particularly like Chinese films, which tend to be smart, funny, and violent all at the same time. These films are subtitled in Indonesian, which I think helps my reading skills - although I have no idea what the actors are saying, since the shows are originally in Chinese! Yesterday I was watching TV at the gym and my favorite commercial yet in Indonesia came on.

Usually Indonesia commercials are very predictable - they are about anti-mosquito spray, or milk for children, or sugar-free additives for adults who don't want to get fat, or noodles, or face whitener. This commercial was advertising a website which proposed to help Indonesians get Green Cards in America. The text was fairly boring: "Live! Work! Play!". But the imagery was outstanding - a large-busted blonde woman in a bright red one-piece exiting a swimming pool...with the video panning to the woman's chest. It seemed so out-of-the-ordinary for Islamic Indonesia, I laughed so hard I had to stop running!

1 comment:

Rich Unger said...

You've been out of the country too long. Don't you know that's what it's like here all the time now? :)